Wheel of Time Book Rankings

all-books
spoilers

Narg came across this chart awhile ago and found it interesting for several reasons.

It doesn’t really match up to how Narg Ranks the series but the main part Narg found interesting was the difference in ratings for the so called “Slog” books between Amazon and Goodreads.

Narg puts the difference down to the the fact Goodreads didn’t launch until 2006, which is after those books came out. So the majority of the ratings are probably from people who didn’t have to wait 2+ years in between books whereas with Amazon, a larger percentage would be from people who did have to wait.

The greater the wait, the more anticipation grows and the more chance for disappointment. An example being PoD and there being no Mat. People spent 2 years waiting to find out what happened to Mat, only to find out they actually had to wait 4 years to get there Mat fix. PoD has some awesome scenes and INO doesn’t contain much “fluff”. The no Mat resolution is what really drags it down in the Amazon ratings INO. Goodreads reviewers on the other hand could just plow straight on into WH and find out what happened.

That’s Narg’s theory anyway :cowboy_hat_face:

How do you rank the books from best to worst and what’s your view on the chart discrepancy?

Edit: Updated charts including audible below.

I’d agree with the amazon opinion. I started reading Eye of the World in 2013 and only finished a Memory of Light this year. Luckily I didn’t have to wait for the next book, the series was finished by then. I’d say from a Crown of Swords up to Crossroads of Twilight were a struggle at times. But only because they were slow and the plot almost stopped moving forward. The problem isn’t with the quality if the writing or story, rather impatience. We know there’s this last battle coming and want to get there to the action quick as possible. Skip the journey in favour of the destination as it were. However as with all great story’s it’s the journey that’s actually the best bit and I’m starting the re read soon as I’ve finished Mistborn.

For me they kind of follow a very steady line, and from my experience the books got better after LoC. Yes, Perrin’s plotline gets a little dull until KoD, but the rest of the characters have very interesting developments. As for CoT, it felt like one of those books in which you could lay back and rest for a little, though it’s very good for those who enjoy Egwene’s plotline. From then on I completely agree with the Goodreads ranking

An interesting perspective. Thanks Narg.

This inspires me to do a re-read and investigate the continuous flow, first hand.

I pretty much agree except with KoD. It was one of my favorites but that is probably because I am a Perrin fan. The thing that I didn’t like with the “slog” books were the Aes Sedai. I felt like everytime I turned around I was listening someone checking attendance. The number of Aes Sedai/Kins women was a bit overwhelming for me.

The chart Narg used was old, so Narg made two new ones with the current rankings:

Added Audible :sunglasses: Apparently listeners don’t notice the “slog”…guess they could have fallen asleep through it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Biggest difference between the old chart and the new is that Pod, WH and CoT all went up about 1 star on amazon.

Amazon calculates a product’s star ratings using a machine learned model instead of a raw data average. The machine learned model takes into account factors including: the age of a review, helpfulness votes by customers and whether the reviews are from verified purchases.

Hrmm if they give less weight to older reviews and the “slog” books have all gone up since the last chart was made about two years ago, that could lend credence to newer readers not noticing the “slog” as much. Amazon’s Machine Learning for reviews was implemented late 2015.

Hmm… My ranking would look like Amazon’s but the first peak would be at the book 5 and then 7 and 8 makes heavy downfalls and 9 makes a weird sudden peak again. Then it drops to the worst value with 10 and the series pick up again after it 12 being my favourite book.

I didn’t think Crossroads of Twilight was as bad as many say it is. I think the bad ratings is partially due to group think. They read the reviews and just expect the book to be bad. Don’t get me wrong it isn’t a great book, but it isn’t horrible too. For me having a house fall on Mat while he asks “What happened to my luck?” and then he’s completely MIA from Path of Daggers really hurt the book. I wanted to know what happened to Mat? I don’t think RJ realized what a great cliffhanger that moment was and how many people wanted to find out what happened to Mat.

CoT wasn’t a bad book but literally nothing happened. The plot didn’t move forward at all. Saying that i still finished it quicker than some novels from other authors I’ve read, and others I just gave up on halfway through because they were terrible.